For show at: Nikkei Museum and Heritage Centre on April 3, 2014
Art submission date: Between January 27 and February 14, 2014
The Event: The Fifth Annual Art of Being Together
Date and Time: Thursday, April 3, 2014 4:30 pm to 9:00 pm (note new time)
Location: Nikkei Museum and Cultural Centre
6688 Southoaks Crescent in Burnaby
The Art of Being Together is a juried exhibition of art inspired by the theme of community, sharing life, friendship and inclusiveness. The event celebrates community and inclusivity where everyone – regardless of ability, education, gender, race and religion – is valued for their gifts.
This event will also launch the 40th anniversary of L’Arche Greater Vancouver’s and the 50th anniversary of L’Arche International.
Submissions for the 2014 show should somehow explore or reflect the theme “WITH”. At L’Arche with can mean companionship, attachment, the presence of someone close, togetherness, sharing life, relationship, commitment, friendship or a bond between people. Consider:
Who do you like to do things with?
What do you like to do with people you like?
What does it mean to be in a relationship with someone?
About the Art of Being Together:
- Signature fundraising event for L’Arche Greater Vancouver
- Well publicized in community media
- Prizes awarded to artists at the event
- Gallery display of works
- All selected works will be for sale unless labeled Not for Sale (NFS)
Awards for Artists
Judges’ Choice: $500
People’s Choice: $250
For up to 10 finalists: $ 100
For up to 10 honourable mentions: $50
Rules and Guidelines
- Must be 2D artwork excluding digital media and print
- Include the title, name, media and price with submission (NFS art also accepted)
- Does not exceed 36” in any direction
- Does not exceed 20 lbs
- One entry per artist
- Must be related to the theme of community and include a statement about the work
- Artist must live in the Lower Mainland and be able to attend the event
- Artists must be over high school age
- Appropriately framed and ready to hang (*see guidelines in submission form)
- Artists are expected to attend the event and to take away unsold works
- Works not selected by jury must be picked up between March 12 and March 21st during business hours (Monday – Friday from 9:00am – 5:00pm)
- Wet paintings will not be accepted
How to Apply:
Please complete submission form attached. All interested artists must complete and submit the form prior to submitting their artwork. Submission forms can be obtained and sent in any time before February 14th, 2014. No submission fee required.
Artwork should be brought to L’Arche (7401 Sussex Ave in Burnaby) between January 27th and February 14th during business hours. Artists whose work will not be exhibited will be notified and must pick up their work between March 12th and March 21st, 2014.
Artwork that is not picked up by March 21, 2014 will be considered the property of L’Arche Greater Vancouver.
Artwork will not be accepted if it does not follow the rules and guidelines or if the submission form is incomplete.
For submission forms and further information contact:
Development Assistant, L’Arche Greater Vancouver
604. 435.9544 ext 33 http://larchevancouver.org